Friday, November 16, 2012

Stereotactic Breast Biopsy

In early October I had my yearly mammogram and it showed a 10 mm mass in my left breast.  I had the diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound in early November.  Then November 14 I had what can only be described as a hard core invasion of my body.

Leading up to the procedure, I had been trying to manage my anxiety. I really did not tell many people about the procedure, there have been numerous "scares" in my midst this year and I dont want to continually burden those around me with all of this.  By the time Wednesday morning rolled around, I was just ready to forge ahead, facing my fears.  It's hard to express how I felt. So, I'll just move on and tell you how it went without moving my left arm too much because I'm pretty sore.

I was unable to stop the tears.  I started tearing up when my husband turned off the car in the parking lot.  While I felt absolutely ridiculous - I also knew that the tears were OK and I needed to allow myself to feel and emote.

When I was called back to the procedure room, the woman who was assisting the radiologist asked me a few questions, set up the room, took my vitals, and had me sign a few forms. Then, in walks the same radiologist who read my mammogram/ultrasound results.  I was very comforted by the fact that it would be someone who already knew my history, had seen all my films, and had explained the procedure to me in the first place.  On the plus side, Dr. Glenn is very comforting, almost maternal.

When it was time, I climbed up onto the table with the hole on it. The table isn't completely horizontal; it dips about an inch or so where the hole is.  That hole was pretty uncomfortable for a hole.  I was told that they were then going to take some images of my breast and that I'd have to get into a position that would help get the best images. I had to turn my head to the right and keep my left arm at my side. In that position, I faced a wall for the entire procedure. Mainly I just kept my eyes shut and tried not to move. I've never wanted to take a deep breath more than I did during the biopsy.

Meanwhile, under the table, my breast was being smushed between what seemed to be a vertical steel plate and a much smaller and thinner steel plate that looked like a window about 2 inches square. The goal was to get the mass that is against my chest wall on the very underside of my breast within that window so that the computer taking the images (essentially mammograms) could exactly position the needle for Dr. Glenn to take the samples. This positioning involved compression, but it wasn't nearly as bad as any I'd experienced in mammograms. However, it was a bit unsettling to have a stranger moving my boob around through a hole in a table.

When all the images had been taken and everything was ready to go my anxiety level spiked again. But she warned me about exactly what would happen, "You're going to feel a pinch and then a burn when I give you the numbing agent (lidocaine)."  It didn't hurt/burn anywhere nearly as much as I'd expected.

After the Dr considered me numbed up, they began the biopsy. The Dr. told me at the beginning that I should only feel pressure after the numbing agent takes effect.  When she made the cut to insert the needle, BOY I FELT THAT!  Dr. Glenn was very kind and stopped and added more lidocaine.  I was remaining very still, but had tears, copious amount of tears.  Again, I have to stress how very kind Dr. Glenn was.  Now, I'm not sure exactly what happened because I couldn't see under the table, but the Dr was very descriptive.  She moved forward with the procedure - and GOOD GOOGLIE MOOGLIE.  When she "extended" the needle....it was a pain like none other.  I managed to stay still and the Dr was very sorry.  She said that based on the fact that the lidocaine did not numb well, we might be dealing with a lymph node and that means the biopsy has to go two different places for results.  Apparently the nerve endings were so attached, that there was no way to not hurt me.  I have never been happier than when the Dr said "we are done now, needle is out"  She rubbed my back and apologized for the pain and said that "we" may be looking forward to a lumpectomy.  Good Grief.

I had another "light" mammogram to make sure I was not bleeding and was sent home.  I cannot hide the fact that I sobbed all the way home.  I was hurt, hurting, and scared.  Thank the Gods, my husband was there to drive me and make sure I was ok.  Once I got home I put on my favorite PJs and a sturdy bra that would hold an ice pack and laid down.

I am glad I don't take all my pain meds, so I have a "supply".  Seems that the medical community does not want to give people pain meds when they have been invaded.  I came home, took a percocet and a xanax.  Once that percocet wore off my boob was BURNING and I mean BURNING.  I was miserable.  So I took another percocet and tylenol PM.  I slept propped up with my legs on my wedge pillow so I would not move.  Thursday morning I woke up with extreme soreness.  Gravity was NOT my friend - when I would sit all the way up or stand - my boob would hurt.

I finally took the band aid off and was surprised at the incision - its bigger than I thought. I spent all day Thursday in bed - propped up.  I did not take anything stronger than tylenol until 3pm.  By that time I had passed "sore" and was on my way to "PAIN".  Ate some dinner and took my normal tylenol PM at 10. 

Now it is Friday and I am trying to be back to work.  The soreness is still there, but it is slowly easing up (or I am getting used to it).  I am not looking forward to the shower I have to take today.  The soreness is just a reminder that I am expecting the Dr to call today with preliminary results and frankly I am terrified.  I want the call to come, but I also am scared of the call.  What a weird situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment